How many homes do you build a year ?


At Hall & Hart Homes we are not trying to be the largest builder in Sydney but we are striving to be the best. Therefore, we limit the number of homes we build each year to approximately 80. We believe this gives us the perfect mix of scale and size without losing the personal touch.

Can I change the design?


Absolutely! In fact, no two houses we have built are the same. We utilise our plans as the starting point and then we work with you to customise the plan to suit your family, your lifestyle and your budget. We want to build you a home that suits your tastes and lifestyle, add a room, move a wall, change the kitchen layout, whatever takes your fancy. Take a look at our tried and trusted designs to start your design journey.

Our consultants will help create the floor plan that best suits your needs, your budget, your block size and importantly meets council guidelines. We don’t believe that customisation need to come with a hefty price tag.

Can you build my own plans?


Yes – we can build to your plans but we need to assess each set of plans to make sure we are the right builder for the home you are looking to create.

What are the inclusions?


Your home is your castle, so we want you to feel confident your new home ends up being everything you want it to be.

We offer two levels of inclusions and then we mix and match to include exactly what you want. We pride ourselves on including many things that would be “extras” with many other builders.

Our homes feature quality brand inclusions at an affordable price and you will be surprised and delighted with the generous allowances to choose from. We only use trusted, quality brands – so you can be sure that your new home is built to last.

We suggest this is the area that you need to really compare offers, other builders can give you a cheap price by excluding a lot of inclusions that you would expect to be included.

Our goal is to give you the “Genuine” price to build your home with quality inclusions and brands you can trust.

Free Quote – what does it include?


We know you want to know ‘how much is this going to cost?’ Hall & Hart Homes offer Free Tender Quotes to give you an accurate assessment of the real cost to build your home.

The Free Tender Quotes takes a little time to put together as our Sales Consultants will work with you to put together the house you want with the changes and inclusions you want . We will then examine your block and do a site visit if required to give you a realistic price to build your home.

What does the Tender Fee cover?


Once you decide to progress and pay your tender fee, Hall & Hart Homes will give you a full and detailed costing within 4 weeks. We include everything, so you don’t get any nasty surprise costs down the track.

The time and money spent here is well worth it to avoid the things that can delay construction or exceed your budget. This is probably your biggest investment, so it’s worth getting right.

As part of the Tender, you will receive the following 5 pieces of the house building puzzle:

  1. A Contour Survey The contour survey will give us accurate levels, check boundary lines and determine the cut and fill of your land. It will help us to accurately determine the site costs and cost to run services.
  2. A 149 Certificate (Planning Certificates, also known as zoning certificates). A Section 149 Planning Certificate will give us the information around zoning and applicable rules for development on your block. It determines any authority restrictions (ie bushfire, flood, easements, heritage or other restrictions).
  3. Soil Test A soil test is necessary to understand how reactive the soil is on your block. This will allow us to ensure we design the appropriate foundations for your home.
  4. Site & Floor Plan The site and floor plan shows the building footprint on your block drawn by our draftsperson to confirm Service Locations, Easements, Authority Setback Requirements and Cut/Fill Requirements.
  5. Compliance Check A compliance check is required to ensure the dwelling complies with Council or CDC (Complying Development) controls such as FSR (Floor Space Ratio). This is provided by our Independent Compliance Officer.

What other costs can I expect from the estimate provided?


We provide a Genuine fixed price contract so that there are no nasty surprises during the construction process. We pride ourselves on being the most thorough in the industry in assessing all the possible issues with your site. Once you have locked in your price with Hall & Hart Homes you will know exactly what it will cost – No surprises.

Why do I need a soil test and site levels?


Soils vary in type, composition and strength. The differences can be significant. Some soils are very strong and can support significant weight, while other soils are weak and compress under light loads. It is necessary to understand your site’s soil so we can accurately design the foundations for your home.

Similarly, site levels must be thoroughly assessed to determine the fall of your block. This will identify additional needs regarding foundations and if additional retaining walls, step downs or drop edge beams are required.

Where are the largest cost overruns likely to occur?


We have all heard the horror stories about major cost overruns during construction, these generally occur because the builder has failed to do the level of investigation that we know is required to ensure everything is accurately costed.

This level of investigation is why at Hall & Hart Homes can offer our Genuine Fixed Price Guarantee to give you peace of mind. To achieve this, we undertake the following extensive analysis of your block:

  1. A Contour Survey The contour survey will give us accurate levels, check boundary lines and determine the cut and fill of your land. It will help us to accurately determine the site costs and cost to run services.
  2. A 149 Certificate (Planning Certificates, also known as zoning certificates). A Section 149 Planning Certificate will give us the information around zoning and applicable rules for development on your block. It determines any authority restrictions (ie bushfire, flood, easements, heritage or other restrictions).
  3. Soil Test A soil test is necessary to understand how reactive the soil is. This will allow us to ensure we design and price the appropriate foundations for your home.
  4. Site Inspection Every site is inspected to ensure that we are familiar with any site or access issues

We strongly believe that this work upfront saves major problems and very nasty surprises after you have signed a building contract.

What is the difference between lodging with CDC and Council?


Complying Development Certificate (CDC) is a State Government regulated State Environmental Planning Policy (SEPP) which outlines the generic housing code for the NSW state. If your proposed dwelling complies with the SEPP code then you are eligible to seeking planning approval outside of your local council approval process.

CDC’s applications are lodged to an accredited building certifier who independently approves the construction of your home. Benefits include bypassing neighbour notifications and timeframes for approvals.

If your home doesn’t meet the requirements of the CDC housing code, then lodgement to council is an alternative method for approval. Although the approval process may take longer, the benefit of council is that generally their planning policies can be more flexible with setbacks, floor space ratios and are often assessed on merit as opposed to strict guidelines.

What size house can I build?


The size of the house is determined by the Floor Space Ratio (FSR) that applies in your council area. This is the ratio between the size of your block of land and the square metres of liveable area in the house. This generally excludes the garage, alfresco and front porch. Each council has different requirements so it will vary, however we will work with you and explain what are the options to ensure you get the right house for your block.

How long will it take to build my house?


Generally it will take 12 months from the time you sign your tender acceptance to moving in, however weather can always be a factor in the exact timing. We allow 5 months for Pre Construction and 7 months to build your home.

When do we sign building contracts?


At Hall & Hart Homes we sign contracts after plan acceptance. This way the contract price is truly the final price you will pay for the home you have designed.

What’s your deposit and progress claim schedule?


With Hall & Hart Homes, once construction has commenced you only pay after each stage is complete - you never have to pay upfront during this period.

Tender Acceptance Fee $5,000

Plan Acceptance Fee $10,000

Contract Signing Fee 5% of the Contract Price

  • Concrete Slab Completed 25% (less all monies paid to date)
  • Frame Completed 18%
  • Brickwork Completed 18%
  • Internal Linings Completed 17%
  • Fixout Completed 12%
  • Practical Completion - Handover 10%

Is the builder certified and affiliated with recognised industry associations?


It is imperative that your builder be appropriately licensed – Hall & Hart Homes Builders Licence Number in NSW is 275897C. To check the licence details of your builder please refer to The NSW Office of Fair Trading at or The ACT Planning and Land Authority at

Hall & Hart Homes are proud members of the Housing Industry Association (HIA).

Do you offer 6 star energy houses?


All Hall & Hart Homes comply with the NSW Government BASIX rating system which was introduced in 2004 to ensure that sustainability and energy efficiency targets were met in new residential housing.

Some customers want to go further than this minimum and we are happy to work with you to provide the additional energy efficiency you desire. These can include additional insulation, double glazed windows, solar energy installations and many other ways to reduce the environmental impact of your home.

Do you have colour consultants that can help with our selections?


Absolutely – we understand that there is a lot of decisions to make and we ensure that there are experts in their fields who will hold your hand every step of the way.

What does demolition cost?


As you can imagine there are many factors that will determine the cost which include the size of the house, access to the site amount of asbestos etc. As a rough guide, a standard demolition will cost you around $20,000. Hall & Hart Homes can put you in contact with a preferred demolition company that can explain the full process to you.

Demolishing and building the house you want can actually be a more affordable option than buying another block. You save on paying a host of fees like stamp duty, taxes and site fees, and forego the expense and hassle of selling your existing home (agent fees, advertising, repairs etc.)

How do I manage the swimming pool construction?


Hall & Hart Homes can supply you with guidance on the construction of your pool, especially timings and help with location suggestions, but as every pool is unique we like the experts in this area to manage your needs.

We will coordinate with your pool company to ensure it all happens smoothly.

Can I build a granny flat?


Yes, we offer a granny flat option with every house, obviously it will depend on your block and council requirements but we are happy to work with you to see if a granny flat will work as an addition to your home.

How Far back from the street does my new home have to be?


This largely depends on the method of approval – whether it is CDC or Council. For CDC it is the average of your two neighbours setbacks, or if you have no neighbours within 40m either side, a distance of 4.5m. Setbacks for Councils vary – some councils apply a similar calculation to CDC, whereas others have their setbacks based on DCP guidelines and Planning Zones.

Do you build in my area?


What size frontage do I need to build my house?


Hall & Hart Homes have plans for houses from 10 to 18 metre frontages.

Do you build on sloping land?


Yes – we can build on sloping blocks, however we will need to assess in more detail if the block has more than 3m of fall across the block.

How do we get the process started?


Visit us at HomeWorld in Kellyville, send us a message or give us a call on 02 8662 0037 and we can work with you to select a home that will work within your budget

How many jobs does the supervisor manage at one time?


At Hall & Hart Homes we believe that it is only possible to build a quality home if the supervisor has time to spend actually supervising the building of your home. That is why our supervisors have no more than 10-12 houses to supervise at any one time. Many other company’s supervisors will be building twice this amount. It is a question worth discussing with any builder.

How will I know what’s happening during construction?


Your supervisor will provide you with weekly updates about what has happened last week and what will be happening in the weeks ahead. We will ensure that you feel like you know what is happening every step of the way.

Can I walk through the house during construction?


Work, Health & Safety regulations prevent you being able to access the site without being accompanied by a Hall & Hart Homes Supervisor. However, you will be accompanied by your Supervisor at each critical stage of construction on a walk through of your home where he can explain exactly what is happening and what will occur next.

What happens during the maintenance period?


We have a 13 week maintenance period if there are any issues, just call and we will sort out your issues quickly and with no fuss.

Who organises landscaping?


Landscaping is generally contracted separately by the owner except for our House and Land Packages, which will include generous landscaping.

Can't find answers to your questions? We are here to help.

SEND A MESSAGEkeyboard_arrow_right

FAQ's Pocket Guide  insert_drive_file         

Building Terms Explained insert_drive_file